From very early pregnancy to your anomaly scan, ultrasounds make sure that your child is developing since it ought to be. We consider the routine scans you can expect regarding the NHS and exactly what extra choices can be obtained privately.
Place us into the test
Our Test Labs compare features and prices on a variety of products. Take to Which? To unlock our reviews. You will immediately manage to compare our test ratings, in order to ensure you do not get stuck by having a do not purchase.
What is a scan that is ultrasound?
When you are for the maternity scan, the sonographer (an expert competed in ultrasound scans) sets ultrasound gel on your tummy after which moves a handheld probe across the skin. Although the gel might be considered a bit cool, the scans are totally painless.
The probe delivers away ultrasound waves – sound waves with a regularity more than the human being ear is in a position to hear – to produce pictures of the infant, that your sonographer studies on a screen.
Ultrasound scans in maternity have actually several purposes:
- They look at your baby’s size and, in the pregnancy that is early scan, help calculate your deadline.
- They monitor whether your infant keeps growing generally.
- They check whether you’re having one child, twins or maybe more.
- They can identify some abnormalities.
- They are able to show when you yourself have a lot of or not enough amniotic fluid.
- They reveal the career regarding the placenta as well as your infant, which could influence whether you are able to want to offer delivery vaginally or you may need a caesarean area.
Are maternity scans safe?
Ultrasound scans have now been useful for several years, and there are not any known risks for you or your child from getting the routine scans provided in pregnancy.
Than they are during routine scans if you’re considering a private 3D or 4D scan, it’s worth considering that these scans often last longer, meaning your baby will be exposed to more ultrasound. (Pokračování textu…)